Daily Archives: January 25, 2013
Good morning, gang. My fear of a decent ice event across southern Kentucky is being realized. An ICE STORM WARNING is now out for many counties into early this afternoon. Here’s a look…
Ice accumulations of a half inch is possible before this system pulls out of town. This is leading to the closing of roads and may eventually cause some power issues.
The rest of the forecast area is dealing with snow and an icy mix. This is leading to widespread travel issues.
Stay safe and take care.
Good Friday, everyone. A fast moving storm is going to blast the bluegrass state today with snow and ice. I continue to like the forecast I have out and will let it ride. Before we get to the tracking tools… let me give you some quick thoughts.
– The radar will explode with precipitation early this morning, with most of the action taking place after sunrise.
– This will be a high impact travel event. The ground is frozen solid and road temps are well below freezing. Each and every flake, ice pellet or freezing raindrop will stick.
– My snow map from Thursday still looks good. An inch or less across the west with 1″-3″ from areas of central Kentucky into the east. I can see some parts of eastern Kentucky exceeding that.
– I’m very concerned about the ice accumulation across southern Kentucky. Several counties here may see .25″ or higher of freezing rain and sleet. Nothing good would come of ice… let’s hope it turns out to be mainly sleet or snow.
– The snow and ice will shut off very quickly from west to east this afternoon. Leftover flurries and snow showers will continue into early Saturday as a cold northwesterly wind blows.
I have all the toys you need to track this system…
I-75 @ Clays Ferry Bridge South
Between Lexington and Richmond
View of Downtown
US 60 @ US 127
I-264 @ Freedom Way
Near Louisville International Airport
I-71/I-75 at I-275
View from Courthouse
Natcher Parkway MP 5
Near Bowling Green
I-24 MP 7 @ US 62
We often talk about doing a snow dance here on the blog. Well, a lot of people were doing them last night and posting them on my Facebook page. Check it out: Chris Bailey WKYT
Be sure to post the reports from where you live and I will update as needed today. Stay safe and take care.
P.S. The models are showing a wicked pattern taking shape for the middle and end of next week. 😉
Take care… again.