Daily Archives: January 8, 2020
Time posted: 7:44 pm
Good evening, folks. I wanted to drop by for a quickie update on the system coming our way for the weekend. This still looks like a high impact system across Kentucky and surrounding areas.
There are no real changes to how this plays out. I continue to grow a little more concerned about the potential for a few severe storms on Saturday. With or without thunderstorms, we are facing a true high wind threat across the region.
The new EURO continues to spit out some alarming wind gusts…
Record high temps may reach 70-75 across areas of central and eastern Kentucky. Wow!
Another system looks to move our way by late Monday or Tuesday. Can we find any kind of change to this overall pattern? The models go back and forth on this potential, but the Euro and Euro Ensembles are changing it up.
Take a look at the arctic air appearing on the Euro late next week…
The Euro Ensembles are rearranging the whole pattern…
Time posted: 12:17 pm
Good afternoon, folks. It’s a good looking day in the Commonwealth, but it’s all eyes on the wild weekend weather ride. Our potent storm system continues to look on track to bring a big time impact on the our weather and the weather of millions of people.
- Scattered showers and storms develop Thursday evening and this action will increase into Friday, especially across central and western Kentucky.
- Rounds of showers and storms then work in from Friday night through Saturday night, bringing a flood and flash flood risk.
- The greatest high water risk continues to be across western and parts of central Kentucky.
- A few strong to severe storms will be possible on Saturday.
- High winds of greater than 50mph will be possible Saturday and Saturday night.
- Near record high temps are possible on Saturday, especially across eastern Kentucky. That’s where temps can reach 70-75.
The winds are likely to be a major issue with this setup. Gusts of 40mph or higher are possible Friday…
I will have the latest on WKYT starting at 4pm and then with another update on KWC later this evening. Enjoy the day and take care.
Time posted: 2:01 am
Good Wednesday, everyone. It’s a nice and chilly weather day taking shape across the region, but it’s all eyes on the weekend and some wild weather. A potent storm system will roll our way and bring a lot of different threats our way, including the potential for flooding rains, high winds, severe storms and record temps.
The overall setup for thew weekend hasn’t changed much…
With or without thunderstorms, high winds are likely to cause issues. The GFS has areas of 60mph or greater…
We will have to watch for another possible storm system into the first half of next week, but the models are finally seeing some changes later in the week. Watch how the colder air tries to overwhelm the pattern…
GFS temp departures from normal