Good Thursday, everyone. We have a cold front dropping into the state today, bringing the risk of a few strong to severe thunderstorms. Behind this, much cooler air pushes in to start the weekend, but a summer surge will quickly follow.
Here’s a breakdown of the pattern:
- The day starts with some showers and storms working in from the west and northwest. This action is likely to be on the decrease.
- Another round of storms will then fire up later today into the evening. Some scattered strong to severe storms are possible, but odds do not favor a significant event.
- Damaging winds and large hail are the primary players.
- Ahead of the storms, temps will spike back into the 80-85 degree range for many.
- Gusty showers and some thunder will be around into Friday, with the greatest chance in the south and east.
- Much cooler winds will blow in and we may be in the 50s by late afternoon.
- Some 1″ rains are possible in a few spots through Friday.
- The weekend weather looks much better with sunshine and temps approaching 80 by Mother’s Day.
- Summer temps surge in next week, with some areas making a run at 90. This setup could lead to a big severe weather setup late in the week.
I have you all set to track today’s severe weather potential…
Hamburg Area from WKYT Studio
I-75 @ Newtown Pike
I-75 @ Iron Works Pike
I-71/I-75 at Mt. Zion Rd.
I-275 approaching KY 20/Airport
US 60 @ US 127
US 127 @ Frankfort
I-264 @ Freedom Way
Near Louisville International Airport
Downtown Louisville @ 2nd & Broadway
I-65 MP 92.4
I-64 at KY-801