Good Friday, folks. We’ve made it to the end of the week and the weekend is just hours away from kicking off. While things are cold to start the weekend, it doesn’t look too bad over the next few days, but that’s not the focus of the forecast. We continue to watch the potential for winter weather and arctic cold temps by Monday and Tuesday.
Today’s weather is much colder than normal with low and mid 20s to start with a wind chill in the teens, and highs ranging from the upper 30s for many, to low 40s for some.
Our weekend weather will see a mix of sun and clouds around as highs hit the 40s on Saturday and mid to upper 50s Sunday. Winds will be rather gusty on Sunday with late day clouds on the increase.
The setup for early next week remains fairly well behaved so far. Before we get to the models, here are some CB thoughts:
- The arctic front drops in from the northwest on Monday, but the exact timing for any one location is yet to be determined.
- A band of rain may focus along and ahead of the front and before the temp crash.
- Much of the precipitation with a front like this is usually focused behind it and into the cold air. That’s where a band of light snow can set up.
- A wave of low pressure is going to try to develop along this front. If that happens near us, it can enhance the band of snow behind the front.
- As this system pulls away Tuesday, a STRONG northwest wind could produce snow showers and flurries for many. Lake Michigan may be wide open for business and we may get in on some of that action.
- Can we get an early season light snowfall? That’s certainly a possibility, especially across central and eastern Kentucky. No promises as of now! 😉
- There are no current indications of this being anything other than a light winter weather maker at best.
- Temps will be crazy cold for this time of year. Highs for Tuesday and Wednesday may not get above freezing and lows can reach deep into the teens. Wind chills could even reach single digits in the morning hours.
A quick check of the models find the GFS and Euro with a similar look…
We shall see what, if any, trends develop with updates later today. Have a great Friday and take care.