Good Sunday everyone. What a weekend here in Kentucky. We had temps hitting 70 degrees with beautiful sunny skies Saturday and today’s weather looks to play out in similar fashion. Please go out and play because we have one heck of a temperature plunge coming tomorrow.
The nice weather on Saturday took a backseat to a 4.3 magnitude earthquake that hit southeastern Kentucky around noon. No major damage was reported but the quake was felt as far away as New Jersey. Eastern Kentucky has taken it on the chin this year. In addition to this historic earthquake, we had the historic tornado outbreak in March, historic heat in July and the recent history making snowstorm in October. Who knew the Mayans were thinking about this part of the world when they made their prediction all those years ago. 😉 I kid, I kid.
Back to the big change that’s upon us. Temps today will be near 70 degrees with winds becoming gusty and some late day clouds rolling in. These clouds are ahead of a powerful cold front that swings in late tonight and Monday. A line of gusty showers, with rumbles of thunder, will sweep across the state and the NAM has a good handle on this…
Now watch how fast our temps fall…
Here’s what to expect:
– Showers will rapidly work eastward in widespread fashion on Monday. The cold air will be pushing into the back of this rain band and it could cause a few flakes to mix in late in the day or evening…. especially in the evening.
– Temps will drop more than 20-30 degrees for parts of the state in just a few hours.
– Winds will crank and gusts may hit 30mph at times. That may give us a wind chill temp in the upper 20s by Monday afternoon.
– Skies will slowly clear out by Tuesday morning and our temps will tank. For areas with clear skies, readings will be near 20 degrees.
– Wednesday Morning should feature the coldest temps of the fall, so far. Readings ma hit the upper teens in a few spots.
A seasonal chill will then carry us through the rest of the week with highs in the upper 40s and low 50s and lows in the 20s. Thanksgiving week has the potential for a couple of big systems to fire up and I will touch more on those in the coming days.
Have a great Sunday and take care.