Good Monday everyone and thanks for making KWC your online home for weather. It’s all eyes on our taste of winter moving in later tonight and early Tuesday. This little system will be a rain ending as snow scenario for much of the bluegrass state, but not everyone will see flakes that stick. Even those who do, won’t see a whole heck of a lot.
This is a nice reminder that winter is on the way and should help get some of the Scrooges in the Christmas spirit. Well… probably not, but it’s a nice thought.
Here’s a breakdown:
– Light rain will break out this afternoon and evening from southwest to northeast. Temps will warm to around 50 before the rain gets in and then fall through the 40s.
– Colder air works in overnight and this will cause the rain to mix with and then change to snow after midnight into Tuesday morning. This looks to be a period of light snow that shouldn’t fall more than 4 hours in any one location.
– Much of this will be melting snow, but a slushy accumulation is possible on elevated and grassy surfaces. Here’s a look at who has the best chance of seeing that happen…
– Most folks won’t wake up to snow on the ground, but some areas should pick up a covering. I suppose if everything works out just right… an inch or two would be possible for a lucky few. That’s a pretty big if.
So what happens after today? Chilly temps will take us through Wednesday before a seasonal brand of air takes over late this week into the weekend. Temps will likely warm back toward the low 50s as clouds and moisture increases ahead of a system working across the northern plains. That means scattered showers break out from late Friday into the coming weekend. You can see how this system looks on the NAM:
Some random thoughts for December:
– The month will start off “dirty”. While temps will be normal to a bit above, clouds and scattered showers could impact our weather.
– The blocking the models have been hinting at is there and all the players are slowly getting in place for some potential wild weather across the country. The blocking signals may not always arrive on time, but they rarely lie in the end. I do find it entertaining that some people freak out and cancel a whole month of weather a week before it even starts. LOL
– Watch the period of Dec. 7th through the 14th for a major amplification of our jet stream. This may lead to a “threat” or two before the month is over.
I will give you guys another update later today and have the latest on WKYT starting at 5. Have a fantastic start to your week and take care.