Good Thursday, everyone. We have waves of light to moderate snow pushing across the state today into early Saturday. This will leave behind the first widespread snowfall of the season, causing travel issues along the way. While this isn’t a big snow by any means, it will have a decent impact throughout the entire region.
Some quick highlights:
- Today’s snow comes at us in waves, impacting different parts of the state at different times.
- The first wave arrives this morning impacting the northern two-thirds of the state. The south and southeast has to wait a little bit for the snow to arrive.
- The next wave fires up this afternoon and impacts much of the state through the evening.
- Another band of light snow then develops across the central and east later this evening into the wee hours of Friday morning.
- Moral of the story, all the snow does not come at once and you may see breaks in the radar between each wave.
- How much will fall? This won’t be a perfect snow forecast (no such thing), but here’s my best stab at the totals into Friday morning…
- Roads will become slick and a few may be snow covered at times. Delays and cancellations should be plentiful today and Friday.
- The southern storm system may swipe southeastern Kentucky with some snow early Saturday. It’s a close call either way.
- Bitterly cold air moves in for the weekend with highs from Friday through Sunday in the upper teens and low 20s. Overnight lows drop into the single digits, with an outside shot for some of the traditional cold spots seeing zero or a touch below.
We see a brief temp spike early next week, but that could be followed by a big drop and more winter weather. Here’s the European for Tuesday and Wednesday…
The Canadian is similar with another system following that up…
Let’s get back to today’s system and track the light snowfall across the region…
Hamburg Area from WKYT Studio
I-75 @ Newtown Pike
I-75 @ Winchester Road
I-75 @ Iron Works Pike
I-71/I-75 at I-275
I-275 at Mineola Pike
I-275 approaching KY 20/Airport
I-71/I-75 at Buttermilk Pike
I-71/I-75 at 12th St.
Downtown Louisville @ 2nd & Broadway
I-64 @ I-264
I-264 @ Freedom Way
Near Louisville International Airport
I-65 MP 92.4
I-65 MP 36
Near Bowling Green
US 60 @ US 460
US 60 @ US 127
US 127 @ Frankfort
I-64 at KY-801
I-64 MP 97
Mountain Parkway @ MP 36
Near Pine Ridge
I-75 at MP 36
I-75 at MP 23
I will have updates later today. Make it a great day and take care.