Good Thursday, everyone. Our day is likely to start out with a wintry mix of precipitation across the western and southern parts of the bluegrass state. This could be enough to cause some slick roads for a short time and I will have a full assortment of tracking tools in a bit.
Some headlines start us out…
- Today’s action will diminish the farther east it gets, but could hang together in some fashion all the way to Interstate 75. Again, the best action will be in the west and south.
- This system turned into a much bigger one for areas just to our west. That has robbed a lot of the energy from the weekend system and that means it’s weaker and much farther south. I will fine tune what impact that has on our weather later today.
- Christmas week continues to be highlighted by a major buckle in the jet stream. This should lead to a big storm developing from the Ohio Valley into the Great Lakes. The exact evolution of all this is a long way from being resolved, but it’s a very strong signal that continues to show up late Tuesday into Christmas Eve…
- Taken verbatim, that’s rain and wind increasing Tuesday with a quick crash in temps with snow taking over Tuesday night into early Wednesday. Snow showers and squalls would then kick into high gear for Christmas eve into Christmas morning. Wind gusts of 40mph would also be possible. Again, that’s what the Ensembles run above would suggest.
- At the very least, we are likely looking at a huge temperature drop with snow showers and very gusty winds for Christmas Eve into Christmas Morning. Of course, there is the potential for a lot more, but I would totally settle with some snow showers and cold for Christmas.
- Some snow on Christmas would complete our holiday snow trifecta with Halloween and Thanksgiving also featuring flakes. I wonder how many times that has ever happened? Guess I will have to do some research soon. New year’s… you’re next.
I will update things later today. In the meantime, lets track…
Hamburg Area from WKYT Studio
I-75 at MP 36
I-75 at MP 23
I-75 @ Winchester Road Lexington
I-75 @ Clays Ferry Bridge South Between Lexington and Richmond
US 60 @ US 127 Frankfort
US 127 @ Frankfort Frankfort
US 60 @ US 460
I-75 MP 127
I-64 MP 97
I-71/I-75 at Buttermilk Pike Near Covington
I-71/I-75 at Mt. Zion Rd.
I-64 @ 3rd St. Exit Louisville
Downtown Louisville @ 2nd & Broadway Louisville
I-264 @ Freedom Way
Near Louisville International Airport
I-65 @ 234 Near Bowling Green
I-24 MP 4 @ US 60 Paducah
I-24 MP 7 @ US 62 Paducah